Monday, November 1, 2010

Fragile

I picked up this fragile sea holly branch whilst our walking yesterday.  I managed to get it back home in one piece.  Fairly accomplished I thought seeing as I did have two smaller companions with me who would dearly have loved to have turned into a 'whacking stick' or a weapon of some variety!

Sea Holly by Cari-Jane Hakes

I may use this in some later creation but for now I just like looking at its fragile structure. 

Sea Holly 2 by Cari-Jane Hakes
I feel somewhat fragile myself.  And perhaps this is why this little specimen caught my eye.  It has a human dimension to it.  A network of veins and arteries.  For large swathes of time I must be self-sufficient, self-reliant and largely alone.  There is no room for fragility.  But I can feel it, just below the surface.  A tiny network of threads and sinuous, knitted together, keeping me strong, but so easily unraveled.

Sea Holly Flower by Cari-Jane Hakes

I am reminded of a quote from my English classroom.  It is strange how some collections of words stay with you through the years.



Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast. 


Macbeth, Act 2 Scene 2,  Shakespeare


I see the beginning part of this quote very clearly.  In fact I feel it happening as the day gradually unfolds, unravels and tangles.  Until a quiet time calmly reels it back in and sleep knits it back into restoration.


Sea Holly 3 by Cari-Jane Hakes




Bonne Nuit mes amis.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...