Tuesday, September 21, 2010

'Up periscope!'

I made a radical decision a couple of days ago.  I decided to make something for myself.  
I have had this medium sized pebble sitting on my bench for a while now.  It actually inspired the 'Eternal Quest' post back in July.  The pebble in question is pictured in this post (top left for those of you curious enough to click on all the links).  Now, I admit, it isn't as pretty as the luminous yellow ones I use for the Yellow Submarine rings.  Or as interesting as the slate blue ones with the cris-crossing lines of white quartz.  But I loved this pebble for its shape.  Oh so perfect.  If this pebble was a person at a party (I know, just stay with me for a bit on this one) he would be hanging around the sides, kicking his feet a little and looking a bit awkward.  But if you managed to strike up a conversation with him he would dazzle you with his wit and make you laugh till your tummy hurt.  He has personality with a capital P.
'Up Periscope' Submarine Ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
Up Periscope' Submarine Ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
For this ring, because the pebble is on the large size, I increased the height of the band.  I added 'air bubbles' and set some of them with 3 cubic zirconias (one for my husband, and one for each of my little boys).
Up Periscope' Submarine Ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
The periscope turned out really well.  In the past I have referred to this as a 'snorkle' which is obviously incorrect.  Submarines would not have snorkels.  If they did, they would not be able to dive for very long. To be honest, I just like the word snorkel
Up Periscope' Submarine Ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
This periscope worked first time! You may remember the first Submarine 'snorkle' took me 5 attempts.  I was about to give up.  It is made from solid rod and a piece of hollow tube - a little bit of bending and blending makes it into one seamless piece.  Looks effortless, but believe me, it took a lot of effort to make it look like this.
Up Periscope' Submarine Ring by Cari-Jane Hakes
When worn you really know it is there!  It has weight.  It is larger than your average ring. 
Up Periscope' Submarine Ring, detail of back plate by Cari-Jane Hakes
I experimented with the back plate of this ring.  I wanted something with a bit more interest than just a flat sheet. And so I created a recycled sheet of silver, added more texture with the grains of metal I collect when I am sawing through silver.  I am very pleased with the result.  It has a grainy, old weathered metal feel to it. 
Up Periscope' Submarine Ring, detail of back plate by Cari-Jane Hakes
A craggy 'old man of the sea' character.  Right, I'm off to shock the locals with my creation!  I hope you all have an equally shockingly good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...