Monday, September 6, 2010

One of my favourite things.

Frederick by Leo Lionni
This is one of my favourite books.  At this time of year, I find myself thinking of Frederick. 


"Frederick, why don't you work?" They asked. 


"I do work" said Frederick. "I gather sun rays for the cold and dark winter days."


And when they saw Frederick sitting there staring at the meadow they said, "And now Frederick?"


"I gather colours,"answered Frederick simply, "For winter is grey."


And once Frederick seemed half asleep.  "Are you dreaming Frederick?" They asked reproachfully.


But Frederick said, "Oh no, I am gathering words for the winter days are long and many and we will run out of things to say."

2 comments:

  1. i don't know frederick, but thanks for the introduction. sounds like my kind of mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I was just thinking of him the other day as the sun came out, trying to preserve some of the glow and warmth to keep me going till spring! It is a most lovely, quiet little book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...