Saturday, August 7, 2010

Impatience is a virtue?

People often comment on my jewellery and say 'Oh, you must be so patient!'.  Far from it.  To me, when I'm designing and making jewellery the process is so incredibly fast.  To understand my point of view you have to appreciate how I learnt to design.  I learnt how to design by designing buildings (and bridges).  Once you begin work as a fully qualified professional architect you find out how long the design and building process can take.  
Within the confines of my workshop I can come up with an idea, test it and have the final finished polished piece in my hands by the end of the day (or the end of the week if it is a more complicated project).  In architectural terms - I just broke the sound barrier. 
Mobius Bridge, Bristol by Hakes Associates, final design model 2004
Mobius Bridge, Bristol by Hakes Associates (with Buro Happold Engineers), 
wind model testing 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...